Men's Basketball

Quinn Taylor Records His Second Double-Double of the Season for Men’s Basketball at Elon on Saturday Night in Double Overtime Game

Quinn Taylor Records His Second Double-Double of the Season for Men’s Basketball at Elon on Saturday Night in Double Overtime Game

ELON, NC – Sophomore, Quinn Taylor (Amarillo, TX/Tascosa) led the Saint Peter's men's basketball team with a career-high of 17 points and 12 rebounds, recording his second double-double of the season as the Peacocks fell to Elon, 77-65, in double overtime on Saturday night. The game was the first extra period contest of the season for the Peacocks and the first multi-overtime game for Saint Peter's since a double overtime win against Niagara on January 11, 2010.


"I thought we had a lot of fight, to go on the road against a really good Elon team and take them into two overtimes," said head coach John Dunne. "I really like my team. We didn't shoot the ball particularly well overall going 7-35 from three. So to have an opportunity on a couple of occasions to actually win the game, I think bodes well for our toughness and for what we can acheive down the line."


Davauhnte Turner (Simsboro, LA/Independence CC/Gambling HS) and Taylor each scored four points, to get the Peacocks out to an early lead of 8-1, with Turner making the team's first two baskets followed by Tayler scoring the next four points straight. Nnamdi Enechionyia (Springfield, VA/Samford/St. James School) added a three-pointer, extending the Peacock advantage to 11-1. Right before the first media timeout, Enechionyia missed a layup but Turner snagged the offensive rebound and flushed it home with a two-handed putback slam dunk, giving the Peacocks a commanding, 13-1 lead with 12:19 left in the half. After the under 12 minute media break, Elon scored eight straight points, cutting Saint Peter's lead to 13-9. The game then got to within one possession (15-12), but Taylor grabbed an offensive rebound, leading to a made layup, plus the foul for the three-point play, extending the Peacocks lead to 18-12. Elon again went on another run (7-0), putting the Peacocks behind for the first time on the night at 19-18. After the Peacocks and Elon tied at 21 and 23 points, the Peacocks trailed Elon, 26-23 at halftime. Saint Peter's was outscored, 25-10 over the final 12 minutes of the half, after they went up by 12 points when the score was 13-1. All five starters for the Peacocks combined to score all 23 points in the first half.


The second half was deja vu of the first half. First, the Peacock opened the second half on a 13-0 run (similar to the 13-1 first half run), regaining the lead at 36-26, spearheaded by three-pointers from Nick Griffin (Rockville, MD/George Washington/Col. Zadok Magruder) and back to back triples by Elijah Gonzales (Portland, OR/Clackamas). Next, after the Peacocks were up 39-30 with just over 12 minutes on the clock (similar to the first half), Elon put together a 13-0 run of their own, taking a 43-39 advantage over Saint Peter's. Elon went up, 49-45, but Gonzales added another deep three, cutting the deficit to 49-48 for the Peacocks. Trailing by two points with 24 ticks left, Taylor drove to the basket and made the game-tying layup with 2.4 seconds left. With the game tied up at 52 all and Elon more than likely looking for a full court buzzer-beater, Elon's Brian Dawkins stepped on the court during the inbound, turning the ball over to Saint Peter's, giving the Peacocks the possession under their own rim. The ball was inbounded to Samuel Idowu (Brooklyn, NY/Lafayette Educational Complex) who missed the attempted game-winning hook shot, sending the game into overtime at 52-52.


In the first overtime, Elon scored four straight points, going up 56-52. Turner, with four seconds on the shot clock, received an inbound and beat the shot clock with a layup, putting the Peacocks down by two. With exactly one minute to play and trailing by five points, Turner again hit a layup, and on the ensuing possession, the Peacock's defense forced a 10-second violation with 25.7 left to get the ball back. Turner cut the contest to one point after connecting on another layup after he scooped an offensive rebound with 15.3 seconds remaining. Elon made the front end of two free throws but missed the second, giving the Peacocks a chance to tie or win with 13 seconds on the clock. With the Peacocks down, 61-59, Taylor drove to the rim and got fouled on a layup attempt, giving him a chance to tie the game, which he successfully did, forcing the game into a second overtime.


Idowu gave Saint Peter's the lead from a made layup on the Peacock's first possession of the second overtime, but Elon used an 8-0 run over the next three minutes to take a 69-63 lead with under a minute left. Griffin quickly hit a jumper from the top of the key, to cut the game to 69-65 with 18.5 to play. Elon sealed the, 71-65, win with two more free throws, stopping the Peacocks attempt at three straight wins.


Turner scored 14 points, and both Gonzales and Griffin each added 11 points. Taylor's 12 rebounds led the Peacocks and he has now grabbed double figure rebounds in three straight games.


The Peacocks go back home to the Yanitelli Center briefly, for one game against Houston Baptist, on Wednesday, December 6 at 7pm. The Peacocks return to the road for the next two-games following the home contest, but neither games are far trips as the team heads to New Jersey rival, Seton Hall and across the Hudson to LIU Brooklyn.