JERSEY CITY, N.J.- The Saint Peter's University men's tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to the Terriers of St. Francis-Brooklyn to conclude their 2012-13 home schedule.
The match was decided in the final singles match between Luccas Coutinho (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil/Coligio GPI-Vinicula) and Ricardo Garcia at #3 singles. After dropping the first set by a score of 6-4, Coutinho stormed back to win a thrilling second set in the tie breaker game. The junior was unable to complete the comeback however, as he fell 6-3 in the decisive third set.
The teams would split the singles decisions with each team winning three matches a piece. St. Francis captured #1 and #3 doubles for the doubles point.
Carlos Carrera (Quito, Ecuador/APCH), Marko Knezevic (Zadar, Croatia/V. Nazor) and Fabian Valdiviezo (Guayaquil, Ecuador/Colegio-Aleman) were victorious in singles play, while the duo of Mario Huljev (Zadar, Croatia/Zadar Private HS) and Valdiviezo defeated the tandem of Evan Vrsaljko/Alexander Tokarz in doubles play.
Saint Peter's returns to action on Wendesday with a 4pm road match at Marist.
St. Francis College Terriers 4, Saint Peter's 3
1. Carrera, Carlos (SP) def. Terns-Campius France (SFNYM) 6-0, 6-7, 7-5
2. Knezevic, Marko (SP) def. VRSALJKO, Evan (SFNYM) 6-0, 7-5
3. GARCIA, Ricardo (SFNYM) def. Coutinho, Luccas (SP) 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-3
4. MBA, Tita (SFNYM) def. Bellomi, Oliver (SP) 6-4, 6-1
5. Valdiviezo, Fabian (SP) def. TOKARZ, Alexander (SFNYM) 6-2, 6-0
6. GRUNIN, Martin (SFNYM) def. Lima, Hugo (SP) 6-0, 6-1
1. Terns-Campius France/MBA, Tita (SFNYM) def. Knezevic, Marko/Coutinho, Luccas (SP) 8-6
2. Huljev, Mario/Valdiviezo, Fabian (SP) def. VRSALJKO, Evan/TOKARZ, Alexander (SFNYM) 8-4
3. GRUNIN, Martin/GARCIA, Ricardo (SFNYM) def. Bellomi, Oliver/Lima, Hugo (SP) 8-2