Women's Basketball

Talah Hughes' Double-Double Leads Women's Basketball to Double Overtime Win over Delaware

Talah Hughes' Double-Double Leads Women's Basketball to Double Overtime Win over Delaware

PHILADELPHIA, PA - Four quarters wasn't enough on Saturday night for Saint Peter's women's basketball as the team used two overtime periods to defeated Delaware, 90-87, in the semifinals of the Hawk Classic at Saint Joseph's. Talah Hughes led the Peacocks with a 22 points, 12 rebounds, double-double. The win propels the Peacocks to a 3-2 start on the season and to a trip in the championship game.


Alyssa Velles also had a spectacular game, notching her career-high of 17 points. Sajanna Bethea added 15 points and six rebounds while sophomore, Zoe Pero, added 11 points.


Nicole Enabosi led Delaware with 27 points and 16 rebounds. Abby Gonzales added 18 points and Bailey Kargo posted 12 points.


In the first quarter, the Peacocks tied Delaware twice at 7-7 and 12-12. The Peacocks fell behind as Delaware scored six straight points, extending the lead to 18-12. Saint Peter's scored four points as Delaware led 24-16 at the end of the first quarter.


The Peacocks started to close in on Delaware as Sammy Lochner hit a jump shot followed by Sam Meier cutting the deficit to 26-22. Delaware added two points while Pero added two free throws and a jump shot followed by two points by Bethea to even the score at 28-28. The score tied again at 30-30, before a made free throw by Pero followed by a three-pointer by Velles gave the Peacocks a 34-32. The Peacocks outscored Delaware 6-3 to finish the half in the lead 40-35.


After halftime, Delaware was able to tie the game at 40-40. The Peacocks went on an 8-0 run, but Delaware answered with seven points, cutting Saint Peter's lead to one point at 48-47. The Peacocks lead grew to 53-49 after a three-pointer and jump shot by Velles. The Peacocks ended the quarter in the lead, 57-54 with a jumper from both Magazine and Pero.


In the fourth quarter, Saint Peter's continued to play hard but Delaware was able to come back and tie the game again at 63-63 and then again at 69-69. Both teams added four points each, including jump shots from Pero and Bethea ending the fourth quarter tied at 73-73, sending the game into overtime.


With a new five minutes added on the clock, the Peacocks made their shots at the free throw line. A free throw from Martin broke the tie at 74-73 but Delaware added two points to take the lead at 75-74. The teams continued to go point for point and ended the first overtime period with a tie forcing the game to go into another overtime.


In double overtime, Delaware added a free throw and the Peacocks scored six points with layups from Lochner and two from Hughes, taking a commanding 86-81 edge. Delaware later closed in on the Peacocks cutting the Peacock's lead to one point at 87-86. Offensive efforts from Hughes propelled the Peacocks to win the game at 90-87 as she posted two free throws and a jump shot for the win.


The Peacocks will resume play on Sunday as they face tournament host, Saint Joseph's at 4pm in the championship game.